Friday, June 8, 2012

D17 - Drill Rules

Marching band season has sprouted once again - always surprising me with spring rehearsals that seem to sneak up on me every year.  I am not sure what the next season holds in store for my drill writing, but these are things I have learned over the years that will help me in future writing:


My Drill Writing Commandments!:
1. Rotations require subsets - lots of them!
2. Everything that goes on the field must be on a second revision (at least) - no "winging it!"
3. All pages need to have complete, accurate, and readable information
4. Revisions made on the fly must be documented
5. When in doubt, keep it simple - One big idea at a time
6. Movement is a given - Holds are effect
7. The Drill serves to deliver the music, not the other way around

I am sure there will be more to come, but these seem like a good start. 

No comments: