Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 10 - Teaching as talking

In the course of everyday life, I tend to be quiet and reserved.  When I teach it is quite the opposite.  I often over-explain.  Maybe it is my need to continually reassure myself that I know what I am talking about.  I keep explaining as a way of demonstrating my knowledge thinking it will increase my credibility.  At best, this need to over-explain wastes precious rehearsal time.  At worst, it makes directions and corrections unclear.

My focus this coming year should be to increase my effectiveness as an educator by talking less.  A goal of speaking one sentence for every direction given, or correction made is, I believe, quite achievable.  This will force me to be more economical and precise with my word choice, which should make it more clear what I am instructing the students to do.  Also, this have the added effect of increasing the number of repetitions the students perform during rehearsal since I will be doing less talking.



No comments: